Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Joy replacing sorrow?

There was an article a couple of days ago by one of the pastors at our church. He and his wife had lost their adult son. He went on to say that slowly by slowly Joy replaced Sorrow. I'm not sure I agree with that fully. I believe that Joy can _overcome_ or be stronger than Sorrow, but as imperfect beings, I think that Sorrow will always be here with us. I am still sad about Nate. I am still sad about Ani's injuries. I am happy about where Nate is, and that no matter what, Ani will be perfect in heaven, and she and I (and Christy and hopefully Micah) will dance with Nate in praise of God. Though my sorrow is still there, I laugh in pure Joy with Micah and Ani, and the beauty of this world. In a way, it's probably a lot like how we should treat forgiveness. We should strive to a place where God's love and forgiveness through Jesus should overcome and be stronger than our guilt or shame. Certainly we should remember our mistakes and learn from them to not repeat them, but they are part of us. Though guilt and sorrow are part of me, they do not define me.

I'm OK with being sad in the car when I'm alone, because I know where Nate is and where I'm going.
I'm OK with laughing loudly.
I'm OK with getting lost in my singing to Ani.
I'm OK with forgetting about my missteps when I'm playing with Micah.

At this point, my Joy overwhelms my sorrow most of the time. But my sorrow still jumps out and surprises me sometimes.

No comments: