Friday, November 6, 2009

Pianos

I had a real interesting "conversation" with Ani a week or two ago, and just thought of it again now. I was reading a story, and had Enya's "Watermark" on the iPod in the background. I stopped reading, and told her to listen to the piano playing. I explained how the left hand generally played the lower notes, while the right hand generally played the higher notes. I told her that each hand tells a piece of the "story" that the piano player wants to tell. Maybe the left hand plays "scary" notes, and the right hand plays "exciting" notes, but the combination of the two different stories came together to make one bigger story. While I was telling her this, she had this fascinating wry smile, and was looking up and away like she was thinking about what I was saying, and trying to "actively listen" to the piano. It was so cool. Nothing I said was funny, nor did I speak with a goofy voice, but she smiled nonetheless.

No comments: