Tuesday, December 8, 2009

This picture is alive...


I was emptying out a box in the spare bedroom upstairs this past weekend and came across some stuff from before the tornado. I found the documentation we received when Nate was born, and I found some art from Ani. Christy labeled the artwork with what Ani called the pictures. The titles are: "A ghost witch", "A ghost board", "A little fella", "A big little fella", "Mommy", and "Daddy". The "portrait" of me stopped me cold. What I saw was not just a 4 year olds' stick drawing where the eyes are crooked, and my hairline was exaggerated, it is ME. I had seen this drawing before, but hadn't struck me as deeply as it does now. As it is, I can get _reactions_ from Ani on jokes, pain, etc., but I do not have a window into her opinions, her desires, or her imagination. I also have no window into her love for us. Here is a picture where I can truly, and literally see myself through my daughter's mind's eye. This picture literally seems alive to me, as I am alive in this world. When I look at it, I see a representation of myself that no camera could possibly capture. It is priceless, and a treasure. I think I'll frame it.

No comments: