Monday, October 27, 2008

Yeah, oboe solos

Or is it "soloes"? :) Anyway, Christy mentioned this on the caring bridge site. I'm just a sucker for oboe solos. A few rehearsals ago there was a piece we were playing and here's this absolutely beautiful oboe solo that soared above the band (which is unusual in our band, since most everybody plays a volume step above the printed dynamics) and it just touched my heart. There are things like that where I am moved, though perhaps not as deeply as when things happen within my family, but pretty deeply anyway. We were watching "Across the universe" the other night, and since the Beatles are my favorite band ever, it was really pretty cool to watch and hear. I've heard all the songs at least a couple hundred times (well, maybe not "I've just seen a face", but I've heard that one a few times) and it was really cool to hear the different harmonies. There were different harmonies/chords that really brought out parts of the song that made a difference to telling the story and that touched me. It was also pretty cool to see Prudence coming in through the bathroom window (you Beatles fans should know this one). There were other visual clues, like Jude cutting the green apple, that were cool.

No comments: